Subscribe Now - My Next Meal

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Bar Mercurio - My Kind of Place

Since I have been in Toronto, I've been wanting to find a restaurant near me that can be my spot. I believe I have found that in an Italian restaurant called Bar Mercurio. BC and I went there for dinner on Wednesday night while we waited for the production we are working on to screen dailies...late, late at night (don't ask). It is a lovely little place that seems quite popular and has the kitchen in the dining room so you can watch the chefs at work. It has modern decor that screams big city.

BC had them make a pasta arrabiata that was not on the menu (they do custom orders if you are in the mood for something specific) that he thought was quite tasty. I started out with their cajun grilled calamari that was perfectly cooked. For my main course, I had their pappardelle with truffled duck ragout...delicious. The truffle oil with the ground duck was a great combination that made me wanting more as I finished the dish. There was also a special that night of a grilled, bone-in tuscan steak that some people at the table next to us had that looked so good, I almost considered having that for another course...but that would have been absurd (or would it have?).

Before we left, I saw that it was open for breakfast as well. So I went back on Saturday morning to try their brunch. It was not nearly as crowded, but just as good. I had their special smoked benedict (eggs benedict with grilled tomatoes, roasted red peppers and house-smoked salmon). The hollandaise sauce was creamy with a hint of lemon, just as it should be. I have had a hard time finding a good breakfast joint in this city, but Bar Mercurio finally gave me the breakfast I was yearning. And it was the best coffee I have had since arriving in Toronto. As I ate, I watched the chef as he prepped for the day. He spoke Italian to an older woman who kept bringing out freshly, baked bread. If I closed my eyes, it was almost like being a small osteria in Italy.

I will be venturing out again to Bar Mercurio...many times! Three and Half Smacks.

-JB


Bar Mercurio - 270 Bloor Street West, Toronto (416) 960-3877

No comments: