Subscribe Now - My Next Meal

Monday, March 14, 2005

Susur - Almost Perfect...Almost

I was a little worried going to Susur - Susur Lee has been ranked one of the ten best chefs in the world and everyone who had gone there was telling us that it would be an experience to remember. Well, it definitely was a memorable meal. The food was excellently prepared and presented, while the service was attentive and quite professional. Was it a home run? No, but Susur still is so good that you will understand why it is so expensive (it is great to spend a nice sum of money on dinner and have it actually be worth it all).

I went with BC and BF and we all had the 5 course-tasting menu (during the week they have as seven course as well). Basically, this is a place where you want the chef to serve you up omakase style...you can order a la carte, but I highly recommend sticking with the tasting menu. They had several different items for each course, which allowed them to mix it up on the table so that we each had something different (Well, different from BF as I always seemed to get the same thing as BC).

I started out with grapes stuffed with black olives (not a big black olive fan, but it made a great combination of flavors). Next came the meat course – BC and I had the lamb over a peanut sauce. The lamb was probably the best I have had (did not have that strong after flavor that lamb can often have). It was perfectly cook and quite tender. BF had tenderloin that he also enjoyed…although he was eyeing our lamb. Third course brought out the first of the fish. BC and I had a seared ahi with a wasabi-cream sauce. The wasabi had just enough zing without destroying our nasal passages. I liked, but did not love the ahi. Our fourth course was a mixture of shrimp and scallops fried in a ball…I really liked this dish. It was perfectly fried and had a great deal of flavor. (You are all probably wondering what BF was having…I lost track after the tenderloin…sorry).

Then came the dessert course…this is where I should have had a pad and paper. I have totally forgotten what we all had! But this goes to more why Susur was a near miss for flashback status. I remember the dessert being good, but not great.

Susur also has an extensive wine list from all over the world. We decided on a Tuscan variety that fit the meal. All in all, Susur was a wonderful experience. Was it perfect? No, but not many restaurants are. Four Smacks!

-JB


Susur - 601 King St. West, Toronto (416) 603-2205

No comments: