Subscribe Now - My Next Meal

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Expensive Italian

So on Thursday we decided to go and try out the Little Italy section of Toronto. We went to a restaurant recommended on Zagat's called Trattoria Giancarlo. I went with my wife, Renée, and my co-workers BC and BF (BC is an editor I have worked with for many years. He has become a great friend and food companion).

Now, the food was not too bad...but unfortunately it was not that great either. The best thing I had was the appetizer, a mixed sauteé of wild mushrooms over grilled polenta...a nice combination that left me wanting more. Next came my main dish, ribbon pasta with shrimp in a basil, cream sauce. It was good...but not $20 good.

BC also thought his pasta (with shrimp in an olive oil, white wine sauce) was only OK. BF liked his main dish, the special grilled rib-eye, but said it was too salty (Steak often disappoints in a restaurant setting. Most times, the best steak is to be had at home. I have to say that I make a mean grilled t-bone, Tuscan style. More on that in the summertime). Renée was a lot more down on Trattoria Giancarlo - she though her quail appetizer was too heavy and the grilled sardines did not do much for her.

And then the check came...Wow! Very expensive, this place. One of my pet peeves is paying a lot of money for only OK food. If I am spending some bank, I want to be blown away. Ah well, what are you going to do. I have to say that some of Zagat's top picks of Toronto is letting me down.

This place gets Two and a Half Smacks from me. Renée gives it Two.

-JB


Trattoria Giancarlo - 41-43 Clinton St., Toronto (416) 533-9619

Note: Zagat is a cool website for getting ideas of places to go out and eat. I do not always agree with the Zagat reviews, but it is still a fun website.

No comments: