Subscribe Now - My Next Meal

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Culinary Flashback - Miami, Fall 2002

Sometimes, memories of other's reactions to food can be as strong as your own. In the Fall of 2002, BC and I were on location on a movie set in Miami. We started a trend of going to Nobu Miami Beach (of famed Chef Nobu Matsuhisa) every other Saturday night.

My flashback is of the first time we went to Nobu. Remember, this is per diem money we are talking about, so BC and I decided to go all out...ordering the best fish and best quality sake. The waiter let us know that they had a special - white truffles sliced on an order of their new style salmon (new style is a traditional Nobu dish of thinly sliced fish, covered in yuzu juice/soy sauce combination and lightly seared by hot olive and sesame seed oil). The waiter said that the truffles would be a great addition to this dish. BC told me that he had never tried truffles before (and if any of you have not, go out and try them...a very sensual and earthy flavor...tastes like sex).

I immediately told the waiter to order us up a plate. It came out to us a little bit later after we had a couple glasses of sake in frozen bamboo cups. I looked down at these delicate slices of salmon topped with thin, white slices of truffle. This amazing, pungent smell of the truffles filled the air, begging us to take a bite. I looked up at BC and said, "Go ahead, you first." BC picked up a piece of the fish/truffle combination, stared at it for a moment and then placed it in his mouth. Immediately, a look of euphoria came across his face. It looked like he had just tasted food directly from heaven. BC then gave a slight smile...he did not need to say anything, I knew what he was thinking. I'll never forget that look on BC's face. It made me wish that it was my first tasting the truffles...although, by watching BC, it was almost like I was experiencing it again.

- JB


Nobu - 1901 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33139 (305) 695-3232

Nobu Matsuhisa's New Style Sashimi

No comments: